Types of Conflict in Any Story
When I decided to make storytelling my profession, I just started telling stories– I didn’t take the time to understand the details behind my stories. Doing so made it difficult to finish my stories in an adequate amount of time because I always had to rework the text.
One major thing I had to redefine throughout my stories consistently were the types of conflicts due to me not continually refreshing myself on all seven kinds of conflicts.
1. Person V. Person
- One person against another person– this is one of the most common forms of conflicts.
- One person s fighting to triumph over another person.
2. Person V. Self
- When a person battles themselves.
- A battle between multiple personalities or choosing to take a path of good or evil.
3. Person V. Fate (God(s))
- When a person has to face a destiny they can’t avoid.
- The struggle to reach freedom (or free will) often
4. Person V. Society
- A person against the injustices within their society.
- Individual or group ‘fighting the good fight’.
5. Person V. Nature
- Humankind against nature.
- Fighting to survive after a
- Fighting to save animals, wilderness, etc.
6. Person V. Supernatural
- Common in science fiction and supernatural stories.
- A battle against an unknown entity (whether it’s extraterrestrial or metaphysical+)
7. Person V. Technology
- A battle against
artificialintelligence (robots, etc.).
- Person or group of people battling against unemotional and unsympathetic forces that tend to be more intelligent than humans.